1. Ingratitude can be seen in the attitudes and actions of many people with whom we come into daily contact.
a. Many children fail to be thankful for the blessings provided for them by their parents.
b. Parents often fail to show gratitude for their children and the good things they accomplish.
c. Many husbands and wives do not show proper appreciation for each other. d. Employers and employees are not thankful enough, in many cases, for each
other and they fail to manifest proper attitudes toward one another. 2. As Christians:
a. We may not be thankful enough for each other.
b. We may not be as appreciative as we should be for the blessings God provides us out of His grace, goodness and love.
c. We may be guilty of the sin of ingratitude.
I. Ingratitude Illustrated (Luke 17:11-19)
A. As Jesus entered into a certain village, ten lepers met Him and cried out for mercy from Him.
B. Though ten lepers were shown mercy and cleansed of their leprosy, only one was grateful enough to return and thank the Lord for his cleansing.
C. I wonder what the percentage is of people in the world today who are ungrateful to God for their blessings.
II. Christians Should Have the Spirit of Gratitude A. The spirit of gratitude is the spirit of thankfulness.
1. Ingratitude denotes unthankfulness.
2. One who is not thankful is ungrateful and without thanksgiving in his heart.
B. Ingratitude characterizes the wicked. (2 Tim. 3:1-5)
1. The Gentiles, as a whole, were guilty of ingratitude. (Rom. 1:18-23)
2. Many today are as the Gentiles—they profess to be wise but they are fools. (Rom. 1:22)
Gene Taylor www.ExpositorySermonOutlines.com 1
III. Christians Should Be Grateful to God
A. Christians should be grateful to God because He is the creator.
1. In Him we live, move and have our very being. (Acts 17:22b-28) 2. He created and gave us life. (Job 33:4)
3. We should be thankful “always for all things.” (Eph. 5:20)
a. We are to give thanks to God the Father through Jesus Christ. (Col. 3:17)
b. “In everything give thanks.” (1 Thes. 5:18)
B. Christians should be grateful to God because He is the giver of every good and perfect gift. (Jas. 1:17)
1. He has blessed us with all spiritual blessings. (Eph. 1:3) 2. Out of love He sent His Son. (1 John 4:9)
3. He made us fit to be citizens in His kingdom. (Col. 1:12-14) 4. He has reserved an inheritance for us in heaven. (1 Pet. 1:3-4)
1. Every one of us should endeavor daily to be thankful to God for the many blessings we receive.
2. Every one of us should daily express our gratitude and appreciation to God for who He is and what He has done.
Gene Taylor www.ExpositorySermonOutlines.com 2