Text: 1 Corinthians 2:1-5
1. Of the many things which could be said of the apostle Paul, that he was a determined individual could top the list.
a. Before his conversion. (Acts 9:1-2)
b. After his conversion. (Acts 20:17-24; Phil. 3:13-14)
2. This lesson will seek to instill such determination in each of us for it should characterize the life of every Christian. (2 Pet. 3:14)
I. Determination Defined and Illustrated A. Definitions.
1. “1. Decided, resolved. 2. Firm, resolute.” (Webster’s 7th Col. Dict., 226) a. Resolute: “Firm determination, bold, steady, syn see faithful.”
2. “KRINO, primarily to separate, hence, to be of opinion, approve, esteem, Rom. 14:5; also to determine, resolve, decree, is used in this sense in...I Cor. 2:2.” (W.E. Vine, 306-307)
3. “To determine, resolve, decree.” (J.H. Thayer, 360) (cf. 1 Cor. 3:37 -“steadfast in his heart.”)
1. Joseph. Not to sin against God. (Gen. 39) 2. Daniel. To worship God. (Dan. 6)
3. Nehemiah. To rebuild the walls of Jerusalem. 4. Paul. In the text and in life.
II. We Must Be Determined to Do the Right Thing A. Many are determined but not for the right thing.
1. To do as they please. 2. To get their own way.
3. To do evil—even though they know better. 4. To have preeminence. (3 John 9)
5. To keep traditions. (Matt. 15:3)
Gene Taylor www.ExpositorySermonOutlines.com 1
B. Determination must be guided by the word of God. (2 Pet. 1:5) 1. Virtue: the determination to do right.
2. Must add “knowledge” to have virtue. (cf. 1 Thes. 4:1; 2:13)
III. What We Must Be Determined to Do A. Know more of the word of God. (Heb. 2:1-3)
1. Since it is our guide, we must be familiar with it. a. It is a lamp to our feet. (Psa. 119:105)
b. It gives understanding. (Psa. 119:104; Eph. 3:4) 2. It makes one approved. (2 Tim. 2:15; 2 Pet. 1:10)
B. Grow as a Christian. (2 Pet. 3:18; 1 Pet. 2:1-2)
1. Two elements necessary for growth: food and exercise. 2. Love and stand for truth. (1 Cor. 16:13; Eph. 6:10)
C. Serve the Lord faithfully. (1 Cor. 15:58)
1. Requires self-denial. (Matt. 16:24-25)
2. Service to the Lord is not something you do one week and forget the next. (Gal. 6:9)
D. Go to heaven. (Acts 20:24; Phil. 3:13-14)
1. If you are determined to go to heaven, you will be determined to do all the things necessary to get there.
a. The grace of God and our determination will get us there. b. We must be resolved to do the will of the Lord.
2. If we are not determined to go forward, our spiritual condition will deteriorate. 3. I am determined to do the best I can for the Lord. Will you join me?
Gene Taylor www.ExpositorySermonOutlines.com 2